Wednesday, November 12, 2008

holy geek out, batman!

Things I have done this afternoon:

1) Searched on ebay for various treasures from Comic-Con 2007 & 2008.
2) Which led to.....coveting the Comic-Con exclusive My Little Ponys from 2007 & 2008.
3) Thought about attending Comic-Con 2009.
4) Thought about how that means I'd have to miss Governor's School.
5) Wikipedia'd various elements of the Whedonverse.
6) Been reminded why I love the 3 rising sci-fi director/writer/producers of our time:  Bryan Fuller, Joss Whedon, J.J. Abrams. (Honorable mention: Barry Sonnenfeld)
7) Become giddy at the thought of the new Star Trek trailer that will be attached to Quantum of Solace in T-Minus 4 days.
8) Watched the shiny new-ish Dollhouse trailer.
9) Considered why FOX seems to hate the Whedonverse, even though they keep greenlighting Joss' shows, only to banish them to the Friday Night Television Slot of Death.   (*mini, slightly morbid, TWSS)
10) Embedded the Dollhouse trailer, for your enjoyment:


I am just that cool.

Editorial Mini-Rant:  Of all the new shows that were considered and subsiquently greenlit for the 2008-2009 season, Dollhouse was the one that I was hands down, most excited about, simply from the AICN description I read nearly a year ago.  I was not happy when I heard it wasn't even given a first-run chance; instead being banished to a mid-season premiere.  

I became increasingly annoyed reading about all the rewrites, which eventually lead to the complete revamping of the original first episode. (This has subsequently been pushed to episode #2, with a new episode #1 taking its place.)  All of this messing with the orginal plan scares me, because it is eerily reminiscent of the path taken by Firefly before it even premiered.  (One of the biggest TV exec missteps ever, not unlike by the unnecessary meddling and format change that led to the cancellation of Veronica Mars.)

Friday night is where television goes to die; it takes a lot to succeed in any timeslot.  Dollhouse was originally supposed to be the lead-in for the new season of 24.  (Which, BTW, seems like an odd pairing, but maybe thats just because I don't *get* 24.  I think it would be way better matched with Fringe (which was paired with House....WTF?); arguably the best new show of 2008 and the most traditional mainstream network sci-fi we've seen in a long while. (Parallel question:  What makes geek-friendly shows like LOST and Fringe inspire mainstream audience confience, yet just as geeky shows like Pushing Daisies, Reaper, & Firefly flouder and struggle to stay alive?) I'm hoping this is some major act of anti-counter-programming, because nothing else worthwhile ever shows on Fridays (for reasons listed above), but I doubt it. Can FOX kill Dollhouse in the same manner with which they killed Firefly (and to a much lesser extent, Sliders)?  I hope not.

No comments: